Saturday, May 23, 2009

Eventful week!

I have got to do many things this week that were ohhh so fun! On Tues. I got to meet Victor Delfin who is an amazing artist and very popular here in Peru. I felt so honored to meet such a great man! His house was enormous and it gave me a very different view of how some people are very well off and last week i saw how many people live a completely different life. I couldn´t look anywhere in his house without seeing some kind of art he had made. it was amazing and it really inspired me to want to be so artistic. From there we went to a University where my host father works as the Director of the school. I got to talk with students there in spanish and english and eat lunch the SST group. From there i got to go to a baking class and make the famous arroz con leche (rice with milk, like pudding in a way) and 2 other things that go on top. Everyone loves it here, except for me! All well. A handful of us went and saw Angels and Demons in theater and i really liked it. The movie was in english and based on Cathedrals and and religious land marks in Europe. I enjoyed it and it was nice to feel at home even for a few hours (their theaters remind me of home)!
Wed.- I got to visit a Cathedral and the catacombs. I´ve seen many cathredrals but never catacombs that i can remember and it was intersting. Way to many real bones and skulls from the 16th century for me! It was cool though.
Thurs.- We had a lecture on Peruvain dancing and then other people came in and taught us some of the dances. This was very interesting to see and then try and reanact! haha it was more funny watching other people try to dance. I aenjoyed it and my back didn´t hurt to much afterwards which i was never greatful for! I went shopping in Miraflores at a small market and found many hand made cravings! They were really nice and getting to see the person who took so much time in making such things was sweet!
Fri.- SWIMMING with the SEA LIONS!!!! i took to motion sickness pills and well lets just say they didn´t really help... I got on a boat out in the Pacific and it took about an hour to actually get to the island where the Sea Lions are located. From there the group put on wet suits, jumped in the freezing cold water and swam near the sea lions. At points i was a foot away from them but never actually touched one. They started making scary noises so the 10 of us out there backed off and gave them their space. it smelled like garbage out there with over 8,000 sea lions but it was sweet to swim with them and chugging the water was disguising. Let me tell you first hand! :) Besides that it was a blast and my motion sickness. Once on the boat the tour company gave us food and drinks! Jerrell and Jane (my leaders) made a picnic for all of us at a beach and they gave us PB&J sanwhiches. I have never seen so many of us so excited for PB&J!!! it was amazing and ohhh so comforting.
Next week marks 1 month being in Peru!

No comments:

Post a Comment